SUN LAKES REPUBLICAN CLUB
When : February 8, 2023 6:30-8:30 PM
Where: Sun Lakes Country Club Phase One
Who: approximately 90 people
- Chairman Michael Tennant greeted the guests and led the Invocation and the Pledge of Allegiance. We sang the National Anthem to the accompaniment of Bobby Moeller.
- Carolyn McCorkle introduced Jeff Weninger. He was awarded a special gift for his many years of service to AZ, Chandler, Sun Lakes and our club. He then gave some remarks concluding with a pledge to be open to having us reach out to him with any questions or help if needed in the future.
- Karen Lambourne was given the “Outstanding Precinct Committeeman” award for 2022. She is the Precinct Captain for Oakwood Country Club. She is stepping down from her post and a new PC Captain will be elected soon.
- Kurt Rohrs gave Carolyn a copy of his proposal to the CUSD (Chandler Unified School District). It is a proposal as to how the community can aid in making students and parents aware of all the post high school options available to them, specifically trade schools and career training, that do not require college. The school board meetings are held the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. https://www.cusd80.com/
- Mike Crawford spoke to the club about his intended run for Maricopa County Sheriff . He had a petition for people to sign and has to have the required signatures before the August primary. This is his website. There is a video interview on the website for you to view. You can also make a donation on that website.
- Next JD Mesnard spoke to us about the latest news from the legislature. They passed a state budget earlier than the July deadline. They also passed a bill to ban any “CRT type” instruction in schools which might promote discrimination against any and all races or ethnicities. Governor Hobbs has the power to veto any and all of these bills that are on her desk. JD has also introduced a proposed bill to require proof of voter identity- just like any voter who came to vote in person on election day- if any ballots are dropped off at the polls on the day of the election. This will cut back on the time required to verify the signatures on those ballots and make the election results available sooner to the public. He then had a time of Q&A from the audience.
- The next speaker is the “Keynote” speaker for the month, Keith DeGreen. Keith DeGreen is founder and CEO of DeGreen Capital Management in Scottsdale, a fiduciary fee-only investment advisory firm. For more than thirty years, Keith has hosted Arizona’s most popular personal finance show on NewsTalk 550 KFYI. He has even broadcast his radio show while he piloted a boat from the middle of the Pacific Ocean. An attorney and Certified Financial Planner, Keith earned his undergraduate degree in Political Science from Miami University of Ohio and his law degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Law. He was a leading candidate for Arizona Governor in 2005 until he withdrew due to a family illness. He served with the United States Marines in Vietnam where he earned a Purple Heart and attained the rank of sergeant. He is married to Lynn, is the father of five children, and is the grandfather of six. He gave a rousing speech on what he termed “Democratic Capitalism”. He also shared some commentary on the President’s State of the Union speech. Keith’s speech was videoed and you can see it here.
- Peter Gorman won the 50/50 Raffle and donated the $50 back to the cub. Thank you Pete!!
- The next meeting of the SLRC will be March 8, 2023 at the same venue and time. It will be on the subject of “Policies for Thriving Communities” with guest speaker George Michael Khalaf.
- If you have not yet visited the updated SLRC website you can use this link: slgop.org There are links on the website for contacting your elected officials and photos from the Christmas dinner dance. You can sign up for the SLRC emails on the website, too.